Essential information to help you plan your trip.

Below is a list of the most important questions for potential ski / snow instructors, please click a question to see more information. If you have any other questions which are not covered below, please contact us.

Pre Course.

What standard of skier / snowboarder do I need to be?

For our Ultimate Experience course we take beginners. For our Intensive Training course you must be a strong/intermediate and able to ski/ride a blue run in a comfortable parallel or in linked turns.


Is there a minimum age?

Yes. You must be eighteen years old at the start of the course to participate in our programmes.

What qualifications will I gain?

Ski le Gap trains you for the Canadian qualifications – the governing bodies for skiing and snowboarding retrospectively are the Canadian Ski Instructor Alliance (CSIA) or Canadian Assosiation of Snowboard Instructors (CASI), offering four levels of qualifications. Both are recognised by the International Ski Instructors Association.

Where are the qualifications recognised?

The Canadian qualifications are internationally recognised. It is probably your best option for fast track into the industry—CSIA/CASI Level 1 allows you to work in resort, whereas with a BASI Level 1 you are restricted to artificial slopes and snow domes.

With Level 2 (available on our Ultimate Experience course) you should be able to work more extensively, including Canada, America, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and some parts of Europe (this is more restricted so it is worth speaking directly with local snow schools).

Do I need a VISA?

Most foreign nationals flying to Canada require an ‘Electronic Travel Authorisation’ (eTA) to visit Canada.

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes and costs C$7. This should be purchased before booking your flight.

Please visit the Government of Canada’s official website to apply for an eTA. However, if you want to work in Canada after any of our courses, you need a work visa. You apply through the Canadian Government; these visas are limited. Please contact us for details.

Do I need insurance?

Yes. It is compulsory for everyone to have comprehensive insurance before coming on any of our courses.

You will receive a booklet with further information on this or please contact us.

Are flights included?

Flights are not included but Ski le Gap will happily help you organise your flights. We have teamed up with STA Travel who can help you find a great deal on your flight to Montreal.

They can also help with any prior or onward travel. To get a quote, please contact Stephanie Boss: Call: 0161 537 7911 Email: skilegap@statravel.com

Do you cater to specific dietary requirements?

Ski le Gap will happily cater for specific dietary requirements as best we can, but please call us to discuss this before the course begins.

When do I need to book by?

As soon as possible – our courses fill up on a first come, first serve basis.

By registering early and securing your place, all you’ll have left to do is count the days, weeks, months, even years till you become a Gapper!

When is payment required?

Our payment plan is set up so that you pay in two installments, the first one is in June and the remainder is due in October.

We also work with individuals to set up plans that work best for them. Please call us to discuss this further.

What equipment and clothing do I need to bring with me?

You will be issued with a full kit list once you have registered. In terms of equipment, the day after arrival is shopping day! We send our instructors shopping with you to help you purchase any equipment that you would like. Our instructors are Level 4 and they have a lot of experience and depending on which qualifications you are hoping to train for while you are here, they can give you expert unbiased advice. You will receive a discount on equipment from the best shops in Tremblant.

I'm concerned about my A Level results. Would it be possible to join after A level results in the summer?

Although our fees are non-refundable we make an exception for people who did not get the A-level results that they had hoped for.

If you are one of these people, we will refund all payments made except for the £250 registration fee along with any bank fees or exchange rate fluctuations as long as you notify us within one week of receiving your results.

On Course.

How much spending money should I bring?

This depends entirely on you and your spending habits.

Our courses have been designed as all-inclusive so all your food is included as are nightly and weekend activities.

Your spending will be determined by you: how much you go out to the pubs, how much you’ll be spending at the boutiques in Tremblant, money spent on the trips away for souvenirs, etc.

Will I need to tip?

For those of you who have not visited Canada or the USA before, the tipping culture may come as a bit of a surprise!

It is general practice in Quebec to tip 15% of your total bill in restaurants and bars. Housekeepers also expect/appreciate a tip when you are happy with their services. Please bear this in mind, especially when it comes to the end of your stay.

We often get asked how much to tip here – rule of thumb is about C$1 a night so around C$40 on a 4 week course and C$70 for the duration of your stay on a 10 week course.

What is the nightlife like?

There are plenty of opportunities to party! Ski le Gap has an extensive, fun-packed social programme and there are lots of bars, cafes, and restaurants to choose from in Tremblant, including the famous Caribou bar (a favourite of many Gappers and run by an ex-gapper!)

What is the legal drinking age in Tremblant, Canada?

18! The legal drinking age varies from province to province in Canada. In Quebec it is 18 years old.

Will I have internet access?

Yes! There is free Wi-Fi at the accommodation and around the resort, including the favourite Ski le Gap après bar! Please note, Wi-Fi is not as readily available as you are perhaps used to at home and access speeds are on the low side in resort, especially if there has been a lot of snow.

Will my mobile phone work in Canada?

Most international mobile phones do work in Canada, however the costs can be high.

We recommend that you speak with your mobile phone provider to find out their overseas plans for Canada (students in the past have had rather nasty shocks!).

If you want to get a Canadian SIM, make sure phone is UNLOCKED so that you can use any network (or you can buy a cheap Canadian phone for roughly C$80). You can then buy a local ‘pay as you go’ SIM card for approximately C$25. ‘Pay as you go’ local calls are relatively cheap but if you would like a more comprehensive tariff with data, these are quite expensive.

Will my credit/debit card work in Canada?

Most credit and debit cards work throughout the resort.

Monzo and Revolut cards have been popular with our gappers recently as they have a helpful app which makes managing your money easy.

Some students find the best way to manage their budget is with a Canadian bank account. For those wishing to open an account, Ski le Gap has the Bank of Montreal (BMO) assist with setting up their banking needs whilst in Canada.

Services offered are a BMO bank account (for money transfers), debit card and personalised banking services at the local BMO branch.

Can friends and family come and visit me?

Friends and family often want to come and visit Tremblant- we definitely encourage this!

We can help advise on when the best time to visit, places to stay etc. and can help arrange discounts for them too.

After Course.

What opportunity is there for paid work after Ski le Gap?

We cannot guarantee that we will find everyone a job as an instructor after their course.

Students who have stayed in the area after their course to work have found employment. The amount of work will vary from one week to the next, depending on the weather, tourists, school holidays, and of course your personal work ethic. This is like any other employment – you must be on time, be willing to teach different age groups, and be eager, dependable and willing to work.

As our season ends in early April the students who are interested in teaching usually get together and head off to New Zealand. There is also plenty of work other than instructing, for instance local bars, shops etc.